Brilliant United Win Derby

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Manchester City

Manchester United ensured that they did the league double over rivals Manchester City with a 2-0 Manchester Derby win at Old Trafford.

Both teams carried good form going into the game with the hosts unbeaten in 9 games and City winning their previous 5 games. 

City were without Kevin De Bruyne who was injured as well as Aymeric Laporte and Leroy Sane. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had the majority of his squad with Aaron Wan-Bisakka and Harry Maguire passed fit to play. 

The visitors started well and had the possession that has become natural to a team managed by Pep Guardiola. They had the first chance as Phil Foden played a ball towards Raheem Sterling who controlled and curled the ball towards the far corner to force a great save from David De Gea. 

Daniel James had the next chance of the game as he created space in the area and instead of shooting at the far post he shot straight at Ederson. 

Then United broke the deadlock as Ilkay Gundogan was judged to have fouled Bruno Fernandes. The Portuguese star caught City off guard with a chip over the wall to Anthony Martial who volleyed the ball underneath Ederson who really should’ve saved it.  A goal for United who were starting to look comfortable. 

United then felt they should’ve had a penalty as Nicholas Otamendi made contact with Fred in the box with the Brazilian going down but referee Mike Dean booked the player for diving. 

In the second half, Aguero was slotted through and finished the ball well but the linesman had his flag up. Replays showed it was a tight call but it would’ve been unfair to give the goal as most players had stopped. 

Then another moment of madness from Ederson as he couldn't control a back pass leaving Martial with an open goal but the Brazilian keeper got back in time to make the tackle. 

City would launch a counter-attack minutes later as Riyad Mahrez broke down the right and crossed for Sterling but he couldn’t get on the end of it. Gabriel Jesus picked up the cross and got a shot away only for De Gea to save well. 

City lacked the penetration with defending expertly and winning every second ball as they fought hard to keep their Champions League hopes alive. 

In the final minute of added time, United confirmed the three points as Ederson had a howler as he tried to start a quick attack by throwing the ball to Benjamin Mendy. However, the throw was far too long and it fell to Scott McTominay who guided the ball into the open net to make it 2-0. 

More from Sport


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu


  • Fri


Recently Played