On Air Now Martin Emery 11:00am - 3:00pm
Now Playing Sia The Greatest

Shaun Ryder and wife issue statement over missing dog

The Happy Mondays star and his wife Joanne have issued a statement regarding their dog Malcom who had gone missing in Glossop over the weekend. The much loved beagle has now been reunited with his owners.

The couple have since released this statement expressing their gratitude towards the people of Glossop:

"Sunday, 27th April: Malcolm and I, with our friend Lisa and her dog Friday, took a 7 am walk in the High Peak, starting at Old Glossop and heading out for a loop over the tops. The weather was a little drizzly, but fair enough. We accented the climb up to Hern Stones, and the weather turned terrible, sleet and harsh wind blurring our visibility. The terrain was rough underfoot, and Malcolm was pulling me over; I took off the lead for my safety. The time was 11 am when Malcolm's eyes locked into a Sheep; I called his name but knew his primal instinct would win, off he darted out of sight after the sheep. We lost sight of him, and the weather forced us to head down, past Higher Shelf Stones, back to lower ground, to Doctor's Gate in the valley for shelter. We called Malcolm's name over and over, which generally he would return; today, he did not return.

 On the return to the car, soaking wet and cold, we waited and warmed up. There was still no sign of Malcolm. We grabbed some warm food to warm us up, and I dropped Lisa off. Then, I returned to Old Glossop in search of Malcolm. Informing good friends I knew in the Glossop area that Malcolm was missing, they alerted the Glossop Mountain Rescue, who supported me over the next couple of days by scouring those hills day and night on the lookout for Malcolm. Their support gave me strength and hope, and their sightings of him confirmed that he was alive!

 Social media support and local Glossop people were excellent and helpful in their support. One valuable piece of advice they suggested was to contact the Drone To Home charity, which helped find animals; I contacted them immediately.

 It had been 48 hours since Malcolm had been in those hills, and we wanted him home. Phil from Drone to Home met me with his animal rescue equipment to help with the search. He taught me what to do and what not to do in a situation like this, and I followed his advice. He sent the drone to the areas where there had been reports of sightings in search of Malcolm. It was late in the afternoon, Tuesday 30th when Phil spotted Malcolm on his way back on the path leading to where my car was parked. I followed Phil's advice of calling Malcolm gently while crouching down so as not to be a threat to him: dogs turn feral after being away from their owners in a short time, basic instincts kick in, water, food, and keep safe, so I gently encouraged him to come to me. At first, he was hesitant, switching from Ferrel to pet mode in his brain, but then I saw that tail start to wag! The joy I felt was just brilliant, our Malkyboy safe and sound. Quickly attaching his lead to his collar, in between masses of hugs and cuddles, checking he was fit and well, we walked back to the car to give him his well-earned dinner. I informed the whole family of his safe return, and we were all overjoyed we had our Malcolm home. The two charities we want to thank and encourage donations to are:

"Glossop Mountain Rescue"

"Drone to Home"

Their support and guidance helped bring our Malc back home, thank you."


More from Glossop Chronicle


  • Thu


  • Fri


  • Sat


  • Sun