A new playground featuring state-of-the-art equipment for adults as well as children is being created in Hattersley.
A planning application has been submitted for the playground off Fields Farm Road.
It's part of the regeneration of Hattersley through a partnership between Tameside Council, Onward Homes and Homes England.
It is being funded by the Hattersley Public Realm Fund, provided by residential development partner Barratt Developments.
The new facility is set to have an array of modern features for children, while there will also be outdoor gym equipment for adults to tackle chin-ups, sit-ups and step-ups.
There will be a grassed area surrounded by existing benches, while a fence will be replaced with a 1.2 metre high steel fence and combination gate.
The land was last used as a bowling green but has been vacant since 2010.
The play equipment will include:
- Little Hamlets Plus: A structure featuring a playhouse, lookout towers, slide, arched net climber, ramp climber, scramble net, curved bridge and play panels including a musical feature. It helps children improve balance and co-ordination, overcome obstacles, tests climbing skills and teaches different sounds.
- Jungle Climber: A timber climbing frame with rope ladder and nets that recreates the experience of climbing a tree to test agility and develop physical and motor skills.
- Timber Team Swing: An inclusive swing where teamwork makes it go higher, encouraging social interaction and developing co-ordination and balance.
- Aero Tilt: A rotating overhead wheel that improves upper-body strength and tests agility, timing and co-operation.
- Gravity Rider: An inclusive, spring-mounted, rocking seat that improves balance and co-ordination.
- Gravity bowl: An inclusive rotating dish that spins fast giving the thrill of speed and movement while developing balance and teamwork.
- Inclusive Orbit: A modern roundabout with a unique rotating mechanism.
Cllr Oliver Ryan, Tameside Council Executive Member for Finance and Economic Growth, said: “This exciting new playground will feature state-of-the-art equipment enabling children to play together in the fresh air and get exercise while having fun. It will also aid development and there’s even equipment for adults to have a quick workout in the outdoors to help all the family keep fit and healthy. I’d like to thank Cllr Janet Cooper and Cllr Jacqueline Owen for all their work in helping make this happen.
“It’s just part of our investment in both Hattersley and playgrounds across Tameside to help create a more attractive, healthier borough that’s a welcoming place to live and work.”
Eddie Vickers, Neighbourhood Delivery Manager at Onward, said: “We are delighted to bring this site back into use, which will be a valuable addition to local residents of all ages.”
Playdale Playgrounds has designed and is installing the playground, which is independently tested and certified to European standards.
Watch a video of what the playground will look like at the top of the page.