On Air Now Martin Emery 11:00am - 3:00pm Playing Turn On, Tune In, Cop Out - Freakpower
Now Playing Freakpower Turn On, Tune In, Cop Out

Tuesday's Football Roundup

Our local sides returned to league action on Tuesday night.

In the NPL Premier Division, Ashton United shared the spoils in a four goal thriller at Hurst Cross. Grantham Town were the visitors and and they took a one goal lead into the half-time break thanks to Jonathan Wafula's effort in the 22nd minute. The Robins did manage to level matters in the 76th minute Nathan Ntalu, but it was short lived as the visitors re-took the lead just two minutes later thanks to Harvey Grice. However, with the game entering it's dying minutes, Ashton salvaged a point thanks to Jack Redshaw. Michael Clegg's are without a fixture this weekend due to their elimination from the FA Cup.

Elsewhere, Stalybridge Celtic put in a fine performance and ended their losing run with a 3-0 win at Scarborough Athletic. Simon Haworth's side took the lead in the 16th minute through Ashley Smith-Brown, before Shane Killock made it 2-0 in the 64th minute. And an own goal courtesy of Ryan Whitley in the 79th minute put the game beyond doubt and sent the Celts home with a valuable three points. Celtic return to league action this weekend with a trip to Gainsborough Trinity.

Hyde United also got back to winning ways under new manager Jim Gannon with a 1-0 win over Stafford Rangers. Jonah Mitchell scored the game's only goal in the 65th minute, adding to his first for the club in the win at Nantwich Town last week.

In the NPL West, Mossley continued their fine form with a 3-1 win over Trafford at Seel Park. An Andy Keogh brace in the 33rd and 45th minute gave the hosts a comfortable lead, but Max Hazeldine pulled one back for the visitors in the 61st minute. However it mattered little, as the Lilywhites put the game beyond doubt with a third through a Declan Evans penalty in the 88th minute. Mossley host Radcliffe in the FA Cup second qualifying round this weekend.

Glossop North End once again threw away a one goal lead and lost 2-1 to Leek Town. Sam Harding put the Hillmen ahead in the 13th minute, but they were unable to hold onto the lead and Leek equalised through Matthew Bell in the 22nd minute, before Daniel Trickett-Smith scored the decisive goal in the 45th minute to give the visitors victory. Glossop travel to Ramsbottom United in the league this weekend.


  • Thu


  • Fri


  • Sat


  • Sun


  • Mon