REPORT: Hyde United suffer FA Cup exit

Hyde United's hopes of another FA Cup run were extinguished after a 3-1 defeat at Morpeth Town on Saturday.

Goals from Liam Henderson, Kris Thackray and Sean Taylor ensured their Northern Premier Division rivals advanced to the second qualifying round, with Bailey Gooda's goal proving a mere consolation for the Tigers. 

In front of 551 fans at Craik Park, the hosts started the game in the ascendancy and their bright start was rewarded in the 13th minute when Henderson pounced on a loose back-pass by Gooda to run through and slot the ball past Luke Mewitt. 

Dave McGurk's side did look dangerous on the break, particularly through Dan O'Brien who looked the most likely to cause problems. 

They mustered a first effort at goal on 26 minutes but Liam Tongue, who already has three goals this season, volleyed high and wide from around 25 yards. 

He went closer a few minutes later but his low drilled free-kick just outside the box was kept out by Morpeth keeper Dan Lowson. 

After a disappointing opening half, the Tigers started the second half with more intent as Dan Turner saw his volley clawed away well by Lowson. 

At the other end, Henderson almost got his second goal of the match but he was denied by Mewitt with a low volley. 

Morpeth turned up the heat with a series of corners and, from their third successive delivery, they doubled the lead after 54 minutes. 

Sean Taylor swung the ball into the area and, following a goalmouth scramble, Thackray was on hand to bundle the ball marginally over the line and net his first goal for the club. 

In the aftermath of the goal, Hyde forward Jack Dyche was booked by referee Garry Fletcher-Tindall for protesting that it hadn’t crossed the line. 

The next goal was always going to be crucial and the Highwaymen got it just before the hour mark to effectively settle the tie. 

Mewitt started to come for a long ball over the top but stopped before Tom Potter played it back to Henderson who dinked the ball into the far post and Taylor powered a header home. 

With 15 minutes remaining, the visitors pulled a goal back albeit with confusion over the scorer initially. Tongue delivered a free-kick into the area and Gooda got a glancing touch at the near post to divert it home.

A further goal for the Tigers could have made it a nervy finale but Hyde didn't look like getting a second as Morpeth closed out the win to advance to the next round. 


Main image: Steve Dyson 

More from Sport


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu