Mossley make amends

BetVictor North West: Mossley 3-1 Pontefract Collieries

Mossley returned to winning ways with a hard earned victory over a physical and direct Pontefract Collieries at a wet Seel Park on Tuesday night. 

The line up showed several changes from Saturday due to injury and unavailability which saw starts for Steve Mason, Nicky Platt, Gary Gee, Ryan Brooke and Ben Halfacre.

Pontefract started brightly and had an early chance as John Cyrus headed over the bar. However, it was Mossley who took the early lead on nine minutes.

Adam Morgan played a long cross field ball from left to right finding Jes Uchegbulam who turned his marker inside out before feeding Nicky Platt. Platt’s low ball across the box was then turned home by the onrushing Adam Morgan for a superbly crafted goal.

The goal quickly settled any Mossley nerves and though Pontefract worked hard to create something and were a real threat from set pieces it was the Lilywhites went on to double the advantage on 20 minutes. Brooke and Morgan worked a short corner on the right and Morgan raced past a defender before crossing for Steve Mason to score with a header from ten yards giving Polish International keeper Seb Malkowski no chance.

Mossley almost grabbed a third but Ben Halfacre’s effort went narrowly past the post. At the other end Ollerenshaw and his defenders were kept busy by a flurry of Pontefract corners but the best the visitors could muster was a Connor Smythe free kick just before the break that Ollerenshaw saved easily.

Jes Uchegbulam fired wide and Brooke had a strong penalty shout waved away as Mossley opened the second half brightly. At the other end Ollerenshaw made a great save to deny Redford but Pontefract were literally ‘handed’ a lifeline on 55 minutes. Ollerenshaw failed to hold a greasy ball and Joe Lumsden knocked the ball in with an arm. The goal was awarded despite vociferous Mossley protests.

Halfacre twice went close for the Lilywhites, firstly heading over the bar then seeing a 20 yard shot well saved by Malkowski. It was Pontefract doing most of the pressing though as Mossley struggled to find an out ball to relieve the pressure but Mossley defending was excellent and the Yorkshire side struggled to find any real openings.

James Baillie replaced Morgan and went close with his first involvement as his chipped effort beat Malkowski but landed onto the roof of the net.
The win was finally sealed with ten minutes remaining. Great work by Ryan Brooke opened up the space for Halfacre to settle himself and pick his spot before calmly placing the ball beyond Malkowski’s reach before enjoying a celebration that was a mixture of joy and relief as the victory was now secured.

A couple of late substitutions saw Chiekh Thiam and Dylan Fitzgerald given brief cameos as Mossley played down the clock to collect a valuable three points and put the Tadcaster defeat well and truly to rest.

By Mossley Web

More from Sport


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu


  • Fri


  • Sat