Aldwinians secure back-to-back victories

ADM Premier Division Trafford MV 14 - 19 Aldwinians 

A tightly contested game but pace was the deciding factor as the second half unfolded. 

After last week's glorious win, the trip to Trafford seemed less daunting. However,it was back to reality as the home side scored a try from the kick off. The ball was kicked on the full into touch giving Trafford a scrum on half way. A good heel and the scrum half went right, linked with his centre who sent the winger off on a devastating run down the line to score in the corner for a 5-0 lead. Unnerved by this, more mistakes followed and the score increased to 8-0 with a penalty kick on 12 minutes. 

Aldwinians started to come round showing more coordination and communication and the game was evenly contested up to the 20 minute mark. Then a high tackle by centre, Warner, incurred the wrath of the referee and he was despatched to the sin bin with a Yellow Card. This seemed to spur Aldwinians on. The defence stood firm and when back row James Summerscales broke deep into the Trafford 22 area, the subsequent ruck produced a piece of intelligent play by stand off Alex Hughes. He saw an open field to the right where wing Tom Hughes was in place. The neat chip over the defence enabled the wing to run on to the ball to score on 27 mins. Dan Martin converted to make it 8-. Back to a full complement the remainder of the half was battled out in midfield . 

Aldwinians proved last week that they were able to sustain momentum for a full 80 minutes and they started the second half in the same vein. With the Aldwinians pack performing well, a good ball was presented at the base and the scrum half brought Wade Martin into the game who saw a gap in the Trafford defence and raced through it. He passed to centre Elliott Mellish who showed a clean pair of heels to score in the corner and Aldwinians were in the lead 8-12 for the first time on 42 minutes. Trafford responded immediately by forcing a couple of penalties, converting one minutes later to narrow the margin to 11-12. They raised their game in the next period with some elusive running and driving play that tested the visiting defence who then conceded another penalty under the posts on 56 minutes that Trafford converted to regain the lead at 14-12. 

The final quarter of the game was tense with good running from back row, Lewis Quinn and second row Harry Catlow with fellow forwards getting to the breakdowns.The cause was not helped by a Yellow card for replacement scrum half Matty Ross on 65 minutes that increased the pressure level but then Trafford also had a sin bin to even it up. With the clock signalling 10 minutes to go, the new never-say-die attitude of the Aldwinians squad kicked in. Another strong run by Quinn and ball release to the right sent the whippet-like Mellish on another superb run towards the try line. As the defence closed in the supporting Tom Hughes took the pass to score near the posts. With the conversion the lead had been regained at 14-19. The game was then tightened up as the pack took a stranglehold on the ball denying any chance for Trafford to recover, to claim the second win of the season. 

This week the squad travel to Fleetwood kick off 3pm.

By Trevor Hulmes

More from Sport


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu


Recently Played