There have now been three cases of the coronavirus in Derbyshire in total, Public Health England has confirmed this afternoon (Wednesday).
The agency say there have been two further cases of COVID-19 in the county after the people involved were infected in Italy, bringing the total number in Derbyshire to three.
It comes after the parent of a pupil at Burbage Primary School in Buxton contracted the virus in Tenerife, prompting the school to close for two days last week to allow a deep clean to take place and Buxton Medical Practice to close for one day as a precaution.
PHE say it is contacting people who had close contact with the latest confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Dr Fu-Meng Khaw, Centre Director at Public Health England East Midlands, said: "Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with two of the latest confirmed cases of COVID-19. The cases are residents of Derbyshire and became infected whilst in Italy.
"Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case/s. This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public."
Dean Wallace, Director of Public Health for Derbyshire County Council, said: "I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and the local authority is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Derbyshire are protected.
"Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.
“If you have recently been to one of the affected areas and are feeling unwell, you should phone the NHS 111 helpline for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor or a hospital. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus."
To date (4 March), a total of 16,659 people have been tested in the UK, of which 16,574 were confirmed negative. Eighty-five were confirmed as positive.
Meanwhile, it was confirmed today (Wednesday) that a specialist pod to isolate people who are suspected of having coronavirus has been installed at Tameside Hospital.