The tell-tale spire of Holy Trinity Church dwarfing everything beneath it is probably the only clue to where this photograph was taken.
The angle of the shot means that even the familiar arches that carry the Glossop to Manchester railway line is missing.
The picture was taken to mark the opening of Glossop Territorial Army headquarters on Dinting Lane, in July 1939.
The photograph is rather unusual in that it’s almost impossible to clearly see the faces of dignitaries part-time soldiers and officers, in front of the wooden buildings that comprised the TA centre.
The opening must have been a big occasion at a time when the Second World War was beginning, there looks to be hundreds of people assembled.
The centre probably closed in the early 1960s, the land it occupied is now Dinting Lane Industrial Estate.
While chunks of the land that sweep towards the hills have been developed.
Another part of Glossop that most people never knew existed.
Read more from the Glossop Chronicle