Fourth coronavirus case in Derbyshire

There is a fourth case of the coronavirus in Derbyshire, Public Health England has confirmed.

In a statement on Sunday afternoon (March 8), the agency say the new case was infected in Italy and is unconnected to other cases in the county. 

It is unclear whereabouts in Derbyshire the case is. 

Public Health England say it is contacting people who had close contact with the latest confirmed case of COVID-19.

Dr Fu-Meng Khaw, Centre Director at Public Health England East Midlands, said: “Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with the latest confirmed case of COVID-19. The case is a resident of Derbyshire who became infected whilst in Italy.

“Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case. This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public.”

Dean Wallace, Director of Public Health for Derbyshire County Council, said: “I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and the local authority is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Derbyshire are protected.

“Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.

“If you have recently been to one of the affected areas and are feeling unwell, you should phone the NHS 111 helpline for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor or a hospital. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.”

In late February, the parent of a pupil at Burbage Primary School in Buxton contracted the virus in Tenerife, prompting the school to close for two days last week to allow a deep clean to take place and Buxton Medical Practice to close for one day as a precaution. 

Then on Wednesday (March 4), there were two further cases of COVID-19 in the county after the people involved were - like the latest case - also infected in Italy. 

It also comes as the first coronavirus case in Tameside was confirmed earlier today (Sunday). 

READ MORE: First coronavirus case in Tameside 

There are now close to 300 confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK. 

More from Glossop Chronicle

Weather

  • Mon

    12°C

  • Tue

    14°C

  • Wed

    17°C

  • Thu

    13°C

  • Fri

    9°C

Recently Played