Although Buxton International Festival planned for July has been cancelled because of the Covid-19 crisis, 'Festival Fringe' could take place.
Organisers say they will do their best to go ahead in some form, but 'will act according to government guidelines'.
Chairman Stephen Walker said: "We are entirely independent of the festival and fortunately don’t have the same financial risks and pressures they do, so we can be more nimble.
"The town will definitely need something to look forward to over the coming weeks and whilst it may be a very different Fringe we are hopeful it will still be a Fringe."
Key changes introduced include extending the entries deadline to June 1, at which point Fringe will decide how to proceed. Up to this point, if performers decide to withdraw they can get full entry fee refunds.
Entries will be £50 across the board with refunds offered to anyone paying the £70 fee.
The full printed programme is unlikely to go ahead, but entrants have been asked to offer links to further pictures and add online content making the Fringe website’s What’s On pages more informative and entertaining.
There are currently well over 100 events.
Entries co-ordinator Ian Bowns added: "We hope actions taken recently and over coming weeks will have the intended impact and by July live performances can again be judged safe.
"If not, or certain types of performance are still felt to be too risky, we have a number of innovative performances which could constitute a more limited Fringe. Circumstances may change and we will keep our plans under continuous consideration to respond responsibly to emerging risks."
Buxton International Festival supporters who had already bought tickets are rejecting refunds.
Festival chief executive officer Michael Williams said: "Many friends have been turning their ticket purchases into donations and we are grateful for their generosity."