On Air Now Andy Hoyle 7:00am - 9:00am Playing I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
Now Playing Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now

Advice for private renters to get landlords to carry out repairs

Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts has some useful advice for tenants of privately rented flats who are trying to get their landlords to carry out repairs.

I have been living in my privately rented flat for years. I generally have a good relationship with my landlord, but I just can’t get them to carry out various repairs that have built up. How can I get them to act - and what exactly do they have to do? 

This must be a very frustrating situation. The law in England (the law is different in devolved nations) states that your landlord must provide accommodation that is safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm. 

You do not say exactly what repairs are needed. If you have problems such as electrical wiring that you think might be faulty, or there’s damp, or an infestation by pests, the landlord has a legal obligation to put things right. 

Landlords are also responsible for the maintenance of the general structure, and fittings such as boilers and radiators; basins, baths and toilets; and the drains. 

The first step is to contact your landlord again, in writing. Include photographs of the problems. Keep a record of all communications and evidence relating to the disrepair. 

If that doesn’t prompt any action, the housing advisors at Citizens Advice can help with next steps. These could include contacting your local council (who will have dedicated officers for dealing with disrepair in private rented properties) or asking for a visit by the environmental health team. 

Tenants can take their landlords to court to force them to carry out repairs. However, it is worth getting some advice and thinking carefully before embarking on this route. 

If you would like to contact us for advice on any subject or an appointment at our Glossop office the number is 0808 2787 954 (freephone). Our lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. 

Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts is based on the first floor at Bradbury Community House on Market Street in Glossop. 

Enter your email address and tick the box below for regular round-ups of the most important stories in YOUR local area... 

Read more from the Glossop Chronicle

Click here for more of the latest news

Click here to read the latest edition of the paper online

Click here to find out where you can pick up a copy of the paper


  • Sat


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed