On Air Now Mark and Emma 9:00am - 1:00pm Playing Better Man - Courteeners
Now Playing Courteeners Better Man

Advice for High Peak residents who don't pay council tax by direct debit

High Peak residents who don't pay their council tax by direct debit will soon be receiving letters setting out how they can apply for the £150 energy rebate. 

Around 7,000 letters were sent out by High Peak Borough Council on Monday (9 May) containing details of what they need to do. 

The council is advising residents that they will NOT be phoning, texting or emailing residents asking them to provide bank details.  

To get the £150 energy rebate, they will need to complete a secure online form on the council's website and will need their council tax account number to hand. This number can be found on the top of the letter they receive or on their council tax bill. 

To apply for payment, householders can set up a direct debit to pay their council tax or provide their bank details to receive payment directly into their bank account.  

As the council is required by government to verify your bank details to prevent fraud, there may be a delay whilst these checks are being carried out, but the aim is to get the payment to residents as soon as possible.  

Anyone who does not have internet access or needs help completing the form can phone 01298 28475, which is High Peak Borough Council’s dedicated council tax energy rebate support line. It's open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 2.30pm and 5pm.  

Alternatively, residents can visit Buxton Town Hall (Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 1pm) or Gamesley (Thursdays only from 9.30am to 12.30pm, and 1pm - 4pm). 

Enter your email address and tick the box below for regular round-ups of the most important stories in YOUR local area... 

Read more from the Glossop Chronicle

Click here for more of the latest news

Click here to read the latest edition of the paper online

Click here to find out where you can pick up a copy of the paper


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu