Stagecoach Manchester will only be accepting exact change as cash payments for fares on its buses from next week.
The bus company say the temporary system will be in place for passengers who can only pay by cash, while the current arrangements are in place across the network.
Any additional cash received as a result of not giving change will be donated to the NHS Charities Together Appeal, which supports NHS staff and workers.
The exact fare system - which is already used by some bus operators in different parts of the country - will be introduced from Monday (May 4).
Stagecoach is instead encouraging customers to use contactless, mobile or pre-payment methods.
Elisabeth Tasker, managing director for Stagecoach Manchester, said: "We would like to thank our customers for their help in keeping our drivers and their fellow passengers safe at the current time.
"Although the majority of customers are now using contactless and other digital forms of payment, many key workers still rely on cash to pay for their journey.
"Along with the other steps we are taking in line with government and public health guidance, this additional exact fare measure will mean everyone who needs to travel can do so and stay safe.
"We are very proud of the incredible job all key workers, including our own drivers and support teams, are doing as part of the national effort."
Of course, it is worth reminding people about the Government guidance for using public transport amid the current coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Only use public transport if you have to. When travelling by public transport:
- avoid rush hours and busy times if you can
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the bin
- follow advice on staying away from others
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser
Do not use public transport if:
- you have symptoms of coronavirus – a new, continuous cough or a high temperature
- you or any of your household are self-isolating
Keep up to date with all the latest local and national developments here: https://www.